Effective immediately, all official business travel* that is submitted for reimbursement must be pre-approved by the traveler’s dean, director, or department head.

  1. Before you travel, download the Pre-Approval Travel Expense Request form (PDF)and either fill it out electronically then print or print and then fill out by hand.
  2. The pre-approval travel form must be completed and submitted for approval to your departmental secretary before travel arrangements are initiated.     
  3. The departmental secretary will fill in the general ledger/project string and forward to the Departmental Chair and the Business Office for approval.    
  4. Be sure to submit your form as soon as possible from the date of your trip to ensure that there are no delays on your travel arrangements and reimbursement.
  5. The approved form has to be attached to expense report for official business trips.
  6. RU faculty and staff travelers who travel to international destinations on university business must register through the online Faculty and Staff International Travel Registration
  7. Note that all purchases of goods and services should be handled through RU Market Place.  If a vendor is not already a supplier in RU Market Place, ask your departmental secretary to contact the company to see if they will accept a purchase order. If they do, the departmental secretary will set them up in RU Marketplace.

*Official business travel is defined as travel OVER 100 miles from the traveler’s place of residence or official work site. Expenses for travel UNDER 100 miles do not require pre-approval and are still reimbursable. 


General Travel Reimbursement Process

  1. After you travel, download the Travel Expense Reimbursement Request form (PDF) and either fill it out electronically then print or print then fill out by hand.
  2. Give the completed form, along with your original or scanned receipts, to the department secretary. The department secretary will then fill in the account numbers and process the expense reimbursement.
  3. Be sure to submit your receipts to your department secretary soon as possible from the date of your trip. Delays may compromise your reimbursement.
  4. New Brunswick wants purchases put through RU MarketPlace whenever possible. If a vendor is not already a supplier in RU MarketPlace (i.e. registrations, airfare, lodging). Ask your secretary to contact the company to see if they will accept a purchase order and then they can obtain the information needed to put them into the database.

Note: RU faculty and staff travelers who travel to international destinations on university business must register through the online Faculty and Staff International Travel Registration


Reimbursement Documentation Requirements

40.4.1 Rutgers Policy on Travel, Travel Incidentals and Meal Expense Policy
University Procurement Services Procedures Manual

Reimbursable Items

Registration Fees & Membership FeesCommercial AirCommercial Bus/Rail FairsLodgingCar Rental (justification necessaryPrivately Owned Vehicle Mileage with Verification of MileageMeal ExpensesBusiness Meeting Meal ExpensesIncidentals, Supplies, Misc. Expenses (justification necessary)-up to $500Currency ConversionParticipant CompensationTranslation FeesTravel - If the trip is funded by a sponsored program
  • A copy of the fee sheet detailing the conference charges and options
  • A receipted bill or registration confirmation with the fee noted and proof of payment
  • An explanation of the purpose for attending the conference/meeting
  • Conference brochure or itinerary needs to be included
  • Memberships and Registrations should be processed through MarketPlace when possible.
  • Airline ticket receipt, e-ticket receipt, or detailed invoice/itinerary
  • Passenger copy of the air ticket (boarding pass) should be attached when possible
  • Proof of payment (i.e., credit card being charged)

Rutgers Travel Agency can be used to book airfare and Amtrak tickets.

  • Ticket stub or detailed receipt showing the fare and proof of payment

Rutgers Travel Agency can be used to book airfare and Amtrak tickets.

  • Original receipted hotel/motel bill specifying rate, date(s) of stay, & evidence of payment
  • Express checkout itemized receipt with credit card being charged. 
  • Credit card statements must show card holder’s name and the last 4 digits of account number.
  • Rental is limited to intermediate size vehicle
  • Business justification and explanation that there were no other means of comparable transportation
  • Rental contract AND original receipt
  • The University will reimburse staff that use private automobiles on University business at the current mileage reimbursement rate established by the IRS, plus parking and toll charges.
  • Indicate starting/ending location with dates
  • Business Purpose – Purpose of travel is required for reimbursement. Note that “ to attend a meeting” is not sufficient. A more detailed explanation is required
  • Use Mapquest or other mapping program that shows total miles
  • No reimbursement for meals provided by any other source
  • Per diem using University of IRS rate table (no receipts required)
    • 75% on travel dates, 100% all other dates minus any meals provided by the conference
  • The University will reimburse employees for meals while in travel status (travel for a period of at least 12 consecutive hours or a distance of 100 miles each way) using a per diem option which do not require a receipt.
  • Reimbursement: 75% on travel dates, 100% all other dates minus any meals provided by the conference
  • Travelers should not seek reimbursement for a meal that is included in any aspect of travel such as a conference registration.
  • Travelers have two meal reimbursement options. Travelers must select one option for the entire trip in order to receive reimbursement.
    • Rutgers per diem rate of $50 for all cities (domestic or foreign)
    • IRS per diem rates as referenced in Meal Per Diem Options
  • Purchases (not related to travel) limited to $500 by the University’s Small Dollar Incidental policy. If an item is over $500 and cannot be purchased using RIAS, you must request an exception to the policy by emailing expenseexception@finance.rutgers.edu. Approval email must be included with receipts.
  • Dated original receipts or invoices with evidence of payment and credit card statement
  • Business purpose of the purchase
  • Preapproved software purchases should be made through RCIT and MarketPlace as a Purchase Order.
  • If purchasing research materials through MarketPlace, please remember to include estimated shipping costs and tax.
  • All computer and related items must be purchased through IT. IF IT or Kite&Key are unavailable to obtain the item, then you may purchase with NB approval if over $500.
  • Currency exchange receipts or bank/credit card statement to validate the conversation process
  • Oanda currency converter if exchange documentation is not available
  • Only allowed with active IRB numbers with the participant compensation and research included in the IRB protocol. IRB number must be active in order to submit reimbursable expenses.
  • If participation is not confidential, the signature sign in sheet with the date compensation was received needs to be submitted.
  • If participation is confidential, a numbered sheet with the date the compensation was received needs to be submitted with a note that says that names will be maintained by the department.
  • All gift cards must be processed through MarketPlace. No reimbursement on expense report for gift cards or cash not processed through MarketPlace. 
  • Provide an English translation/explanation for all foreign language receipts
  • If the trip is funded by a sponsored program, the traveler should comply with University policy and any specific policy of the agency., if more restrictive than the University Policy.

Non-reimbursable Items

Although not a complete list, this list offers examples of expenses that will not be reimbursed by the University:

  • The purchase of travel, accident or life insurance for a business-related trip (when traveling on University business, New Jersey Workers’ Compensation covers University employees)
  • Fees incurred for changing reservations (unless there is a business justification)
  • Expenses and/or fees associated with social or non-mandatory activities at conferences such as tours, sports activities, golf outings, fun runs, movies, theater tickets, in-room movies, in-flight movies etc.
  • Unreasonably expensive meals and lodging
  • Expenses that are not Rutgers business-related
  • meals included in the cost of conference/meeting fees
  • All expenses related to the personal negligence of the traveler (parking tickets and fines, towing, traffic violations, damage to personal vehicles, clothing, or other items).
  • Repairs on personal vehicles used on University business
  • Laundry and valet service for business stays less than a week in duration (five consecutive business days).
  • Spouse’s/family members’ travel costs (including babysitting)
  • Lost/stolen cash or personal property, including luggage and/or briefcases
  • Personal items and services (e.g., shoe shines, haircuts, manicures, saunas, massages, pet care costs, souvenirs or personal gifts, childcare costs, and personal reading materials)
  • The purchase of hardware or software (due to licensing issues)
  • Late payment penalties and interest on personal credit card
  • Alcoholic beverages (the cost of alcoholic beverages cannot be reimbursed from state or federal funding sources)
  • Frequent flyer or club membership (air or rail) fees
  • Gifts and gift cards

Non-Reimbursable Research Items

  • Reoccurring costs, such as telephone, rent, or lease costs
  • Costs related to repair and maintenance of grounds and buildings, custodial and vehicular supplies, and selected other non-academic expenses
  • Reimbursement of hourly payments of a student worker is NOT allowed.  The student worker needs to be hired via the proper hiring process within the current University guidelines.
  • Faculty, post-doctoral fellow, part-time/temporary, and TA/GA/RA salaries, including summer salaries
  • Student Aid or student tuition and fee costs
  • Costs associated with purchase of equipment (personal computers) or facilities renovations
  • No permanent hiring 
  • Transcription services